Saturday, July 25, 2009

Final Reflection
During the first weeks of class, I began to comprehend the mass of what I didn’t know. Since then I have learned a great deal about blogs, wikis, podcast, and other valuable components of teaching. In addition, this class has enlightened me to the new technology that can be applied to enhance student learning.

I have learned to create a blog and how it could be used in a class environment. Although, I am not yet a teacher, I have developed a teaching philosophy; this gave me the opportunity to consider what style of teaching would best fit my future students.

I learned that instructional design is the fundamental component by which educators deliver instruction to students, and apply it to a specified circumstance. I was amazed of how a wiki could be used as a tool for teaching history. Wikis can be used as a primary source by way of artifacts. It also allows the student to have collaborative authority, that allows students to learn from one another, and permits an educator to have a sense of how well a student understands the subject matter. I would have never thought to use a wiki in such a way; as a matter of fact I didn’t even know what a wiki was until this class.

Although, learning how to create a podcast proved to be challenging, I am glad I learned how to use it. This is a great tool to use in the classroom, listening to a podcast lecture will give students a better understanding of the subject, rather than just taking notes.
I was aware of sites such as flickr, but only related them to personal pictures for personal use. I was wowed, that educators could use this visual aid to display photos, and to take a virtual field trip in any part of the world. This is definitely something that I will use in the future.

Most of all I learned that I was uncomfortable with new technology, and probably would not have explored this type of teaching on my own. As an educator becoming comfortable with new technology will only open new opportunities for students to learn.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice job with your design and theme. I have enjoyed having you in our class!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete